This NLP blog is about the power of affirmations
Many people use affirmations or have at least heard about them. Some people find they are great, other people only seem to get average results. What makes affirmations work – or maybe an important question is ‘do affirmations really work?’.
It’s easy to dismiss something if it doesn’t work at first, but sometimes things that really work can take a little while to practice.
Affirmations can be very effective, as long as you follow some of the rules for designing and using them.
What is an affirmation?
An affirmation is saying something like ‘I am confident’ repeatedly to yourself.
It is a little like making a suggestion to yourself. Effective suggestions work by really being able to accept them, so if you really don’t believe it, they won’t work as effectively.
Another thing that’s important is to say the affirmation in a way that sounds like you believe it. If you say ‘I feel confident’ in a weak and feeble voice, it won’t be that effective. If your outcome is to build your confidence, say it as if you believe it (just pretend you do if you don’t! – It will make a big difference!).
Using suggestions may take several weeks of consistent use before they become effective. However with practice they can really become powerful. You can even have a massive influence on your physiology. I used to get nose bleeds that would last for hours, however now I can just suggest ‘the bleeding is stopping’ and a nose bleed will stop within seconds. This can take a lot of practice, but it’s worth the practice to get amazing results.
So here are some steps to follow to create effective affirmations to help you achieve your outcome:
- Consider your outcome carefully
- Write your affirmation – make sure you state it positively – what you want, and not what you don’t want. It’s easy to know what we don’t want like ‘I don’t want to be anxious’ but when you say this, you have to focus on the thing you don’t want.
- State it in the positive, for example ‘I feel calm and confident’
- Stand in a physiology that matches the affirmation – if it is about being confident you may find it helpful to stand in a way as if you are confident.
- Say the affirmation out loud in a voice tonality that matches the affirmation. How would you say it if you really believed it? This can really make a different. Repeat it 10 – 20 times.
- You can repeat this many times throughout the day – keep doing it for several weeks
The more you do it the more effective it will be
For affirmations to become incredibly effective, you really want to build upon your ability to communicate with your unconscious mind.
A really great way to develop your unconscious communication is to learn NLP or hypnosis. I regularly see clients for hypnotherapy in London, and they can achieve amazing results when they develop their unconscious communication.